Accredited membership acknowledges that practitioners have now achieved an appropriate level of qualification. This level of membership of NAPCP recognises each member’s standard of professional training and competence to develop a professional service to members of the public. Accreditation also assures the client that the practitioner will work within an agreed ethical framework and code of practice.
Supervision Requirements for Accreditation:
During training: ratio of 5:1
For trained, pre-accredited counsellors: ratio of 10:1
For accredited counsellors: ratio of 20:1
For accredited counsellors with 5 or more years of experience: 30:1
If there are, for example, four members in the group with a qualified supervisor for a two hour session, that counts as two hours of supervision for each counsellor present.
1. Pre-accredited counsellors: Group supervision may account for up to 25% of the total amount of supervision required for accreditation;
2. Accredited counsellors: Group supervision may account for up to 50% of the total amount of supervision required;
3. Accredited for more than 5 years: Group supervision may account for up to 75% of the total amount of supervision required.
Supervision Requirements for Accredited Counsellors – read here
Continuing Professional Development
An average of 30 hours per year of Continuing Professional Development is required by NAPCP (i.e. a total of 150 hours over each five-year period). Click here for guidelines.
The National Vetting Bureau (NVB), having considered the nature of the work of our members, advised that all our members should be vetted. In order to achieve this goal, NAPCP has linked up with the Association of Professional Counsellors and Psychotherapists (APCP) to process our applications. Vetting Procedure for NAPCP
Accredited Member: Download Application Form ↓
5-year Renewal: Download 5yr Renewal Form ↓
We support accredited members in the following ways:
- Membership of a recognised national association and network of professionals – NAPCP is a recognised accreditation body and is also a member of the Psychological Therapies Forum
- A listing of your name, area of expertise / specialisation and contact details on the NAPCP website
- A subsidised rate to our frequently held workshops
- Access to the NAPCP office for support and information
- An opportunity to put forward a motion at the NAPCP A.G.M
- A vote at the annual A.G.M
- An opportunity to take a seat on the Board of NAPCP
- Recognised accreditation for a five year period