Criteria for Accreditation
Accreditation helps to ensure that practitioners are appropriately qualified and work to recognised standards of professional competence. Accreditation also assures the client that the practitioner will work within an agreed ethical framework and code of practice.
This category is open to NAPCP Pre-Accredited Members who fullfil the criteria below. Accredited Members are entitled to vote at General Meetings and are required to pay the annual subscription.
Accredited Members are required to abide by the NAPCP Code of Ethics and Practice and are subject to the NAPCP Complaints Procedure. They are entitled to apply for entry onto the NAPCP ‘Register of Accredited Members’ and the NAPCP database for client referrals.
To become an Accredited Member, an applicant must forward Annual fee of €170 and a once off processing fee of €120 together with the completed relevant application form and arrange for their supervisor to complete and return the Supervisor’s Report Form. Accreditation assessment meetings are held four times a year.
NAPCP Accreditation is for a period of five years and is dependant on the annual subscription being paid on time. After five years the NAPCP Accredited Member is required to make a formal application to renew their Accredited Membership (see Five Year Renewal of Accreditation). Accredited Members may make themselves known as Accredited Members of NAPCP (MNAPCP).
- B. What Is Required To Apply For NAPCP Accreditation ?
- Applications are accepted only from those resident and/or practising in the 32 counties of Ireland
- An applicant must fullfil the criteria below :
- Be a fully paid up Pre-Accredited Member of NAPCP
- Accept and work within NAPCP’s Code of Ethics and Practice
- Show serious commitment to ongoing professional and personal development (this could be indicated by participation in further courses, study, personal therapy and by attending workshops on counselling theory and practice)
- Submit completed Application Form and fees along with the necessary documentation and original certification
- An applicant must:
- Have completed a Core Counselling Course, which is a minimum of at least two years full or part time duration, which satisfies the criteria for course recognition by NAPCP including the following:
- A minimum of 100 hours of supervised individual client work during core course (where training commenced prior to September 1995, only 50 hours client work is required)
- A minimum of 450 course hours of staff-student contact, including skills, theory and self-development
- A detailed study of at least one major school of counselling with an introduction to other schools/models of counselling for comparison and contrast
- A minimum of 50 hours of personal therapy during training
- Assessment of applicants for suitability before being selected onto course
- Certification of having satisfactorily completed course.
- D. After training an applicant must:
- Have completed *450 hours of individual client work with evidence of one hour of supervision for every 10 hours of counseling. Supervision of these 450 hours of work must not be undertaken with a supervisor, who either supervised the applicant while a student during training, or was involved as a core trainer or assessor on the core course.
- Supervisor’s report/ reports on all work covering the 450 hours must be submitted with Application.
- Non-Recognised Course criteria
- If the core course is not an NAPCP recognised course, it is essential to include with the application the course brochure giving the course details, which show that its criteria are equivalent to the NAPCP current criteria for course recognition. The details required of the applicant’s core course include:
- Name of the course and the training organisation
- Starting and ending date of course
- Entry requirements for the course
- Qualification of staff
- Number of hours of theory and skills training
- Number of contact hours on the course
- Number of supervised client hours as part of the course
- Assessment methods used by the course
- Proof of Insurance Policy
- Proof of Garda Vetting or you can apply for Vetting through NAPCP. (Request Forms)